I recently learned that these things are creepy,crawly,reproducing machines! They can decimate crops and travel over thousands of miles through winds!! Most of they’re life are spent as larvae, eating sap from dilapidated crops. Every one-two weeks the females ASEXUALLY reproduce. If I haven’t made my case, these things need to be gone from your garden!
There are preventions!!
Here are a list of plants that repel aphids:
These trap aphids:
Best prevention: Keep your plants healthy! Aphids collect around stressed, crowded crops!
If these creatures are already a problem, here are some organic methods to exterminate aphids!
- Spray all natural soap (such as Dr.Bronner’s) on the underside of leaves
- Spray with large dose of water to drown out
- Collect the worst plants and leave in a bag out in the sun (otherwise the aphids will relocate)
- If you notice ants near the aphids, they are working in mutualism! Put a sticky band around stems to kill out ants.
- Add ladybugs, parasitic wasps, fungi (Neozygites fresenii, Entomophthora,Beauveria bassiana, Metarhizium anisopliae), hoverfly, lacewings, or crab spiders.